Thursday, October 05, 2006

Welcome to Internet Marketing and Website Traffic

As the owner, webmaster, and grunt for several websites and blogs, the main thing on my mind is traffic. Actually, to misquote, website traffic isn't just the main thing. It's the only thing.

You could design the most beautiful website, with wonderful ad copy, tons of content, and all of the forums, blogs, and mailing lists in the world, and you won't make any money if nobody comes.

If you are a beginner, the first ways to gain traffic you will probably learn are:

Search Engine Optimization and Submission
Pay Per Click
Directory Listings
Exchanging Links with other sites
Posting Articles with links back to your sites
Starting a blog
Joining forums and user groups
Offline advertising

Well, that list was off the top of my head, but it's probably the bulk of what I done. I do make a living online, mostly through affiliate marketing and advertising on my sites, but I cannot always give myself, much less somebody else, a surefire tip to bring quick traffic.

I do have some ideas about which things are quicker than others, and which traffic methods shold be started with a long term view. A lot of it is trial and error. Affiliate marketing and Internet Advertising give us the opportunity to have flexible hours, work from home, and enjoy some freedom and control. But it's a slippery slope that's constantly changing.

Well, anyway, that's my first post. I'll continue to follow up with articles on different methods of growing traffic, especially different methods of viral marketing. Feel free to comment.

No comments: